Skip to main content

Super Eagles defender, Leon Balogun, has said he has no regret choosing Nigeria over Germany, but admits it would have been hard to turn down the World Champions if they came calling.

Super Eagles defender, Leon Balogun, has said he has no regret choosing Nigeria over Germany, but admits it would have been hard to turn down the World Champions if they came calling.
In an interview with OmaSports, Balogun who plays for Mainz 05, insists he always dreamt of playing for Nigeria as a kid, even though he was born in Germany.
When specifically asked what he would have done if he had to make a choice, he replied: “I can’t really tell because I’m very proud of both sides and for me while I was young and I was playing those video games, I always prefer to play with Nigeria.
“‎Because when you remember your first question how it was for me to grow up in Germany, you feel the difference sometimes, that’s what I said, and I think that is the point that connects me to Nigeria more because even though I’m German and Nigerian , that’s why you always have this strong connection to the other side.
“So this is very been difficult (to choose between both nations , if they had called him up same time) because as a footballer you want to be successful, and we don’t have to lie about it, Germany always have the assurance they’re going to go far.
“But this is a very good question because as I said in video games I always prefer Nigeria, I also had dreams of playing for the Super Eagles one day, of course with the successes in Nigeria, in Germany you see better opportunities.
“I can’t really tell you because I would have been proud to have the opportunity to play for both but if I had the choice to say Germany or Nigeria, I probably would have said I don’t want to hurt nobody. I’m staying out of both teams.”
Balogun started for the Eagles in their 4-0 win over Cameroon last Friday and is expected to be in the first 11 for the reverse leg in Yaounde on Monday evening

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Ksenia Sobchak: The pretty reality TV star that wants to replace Vladimir Putin as Russian President

Pretty Ksenia Sobchak is popular a socialite and reality TV star who intends to replace Vladimir Putin as Russian President during the March 2018 presidential election. She's described in the media as Russia's Paris Hilton, and wrote a book titled "How to Marry a Millionaire". In an interview with CNN's Christine Amanpour she said that starting with participating in massive opposition protests in 2011 and 2012 her "fight against the regime" gained legitimacy. The 36-year old star is also the daughter of Vladimir Putin's political mentor. In September 2017, Vladimir Putin spoke on Sobchak's presidential intentions at a press conference saying, 'every person has the right to nominate himself in accordance with the law. And Ksenia Sobchak is not an exception here. I respect her father Anatoly Sobchak, I believe that he was an outstanding figure in contemporary Russian history. I'm saying this without a trace ...

Billionaire Kidnapper Evans to be Arraigned in court today

Notorious kidnapper, Evans to be arraigned in court tomorrow  Notorious billionaire kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike aka Evans, will be arraigned at the Ikeja High Court tomorrow. The Zonal Police PPRO, Dolapo Badmus, exclusively revealed this to LIB this evening and also adviced members of the public who have no business at the above-mentioned court to stay away from the premises. The Notorious kidnap kingpin who has been in detention for over two months was arrested on the 10th of June at his Magodo residence in Lagos. Evans, a native of Umudim, in Nnewi, Anambra State, was behind the kidnap attempt on prominent transporter and owner of Young Shall Grow Motors, Chief Vincent Obianodo.  He was also behind a series of attacks, including armed robbery and kidnapping in and outside of Lagos, which LIB extensively reported in June Read here 

Wenger: I almost quit Arsenal

The Frenchman has come under increasing criticism as the Gunners continue to fail to reach the heights that saw them considered one of England’s biggest clubs a decade ago. And while Wenger has led the north London side to three FA Cup titles in the last four seasons, their sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last term and subsequent exclusion from the Champions League has seen the pressure mount. Arsenal were also handed a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Liverpool prior to last week’s international break, while their lacklustre transfer business in August has left more questions than answers hanging over the Emirates Stadium. “Yes, I hesitated to extend for personal reasons,” Wenger told French television. “I’ve been at Arsenal for 20 years, and I’m always wondering if I should continue to lead the club. We were doing quite badly last season.”