Skip to main content

Zodwa Wabantu Banned from Performing at Harare International Carnival

Government bans Zodwa Wabantu

GOVERNMENT has banned South African entertainer Zodwa Wabantu from coming to Zimbabwe to perform at the Harare International Carnival starting next week.
BY OBEY MANAYITI
Zodwa Wabantu
Zodwa Wabantu
Zodwa, popularly known for her skimpy dresses and not wearing underwear, was expected to join the Brazilian and Cuban samba dancers at the carnival.
The ban follows a protest letter by former Studio 263 actress Anne Nhira to acting Tourism minister Patrick Zhuwao.
“I acknowledge your complaint to the above matter,” Zhuwao wrote yesterday in response to the actress, who is now based in South Africa.
“The government position is that the artiste concerned (Zodwa Wabantu) may not participate at the Harare International Carnival.
“In this regard, relevant authorities have been notified.”
In an interview, an elated Nhira thanked the government for its swift and positive response to her request.
“I am very grateful. I am so excited with the decision by the government. This is not about personalities, I don’t know her,” she said.
“There is need for the people to look at the matter from the country’s point of view.
“What kind of picture are we showing inviting someone known for taking off her panties in public?
“She was coming here to be the face of the country, remember tourism is the face of the country and that is where we sell the country.
“We need to have right faces, not people who take off panties in the streets.”
Nhira said there were a lot of Zimbabwean entertainers with dignified sets, who deserved to be part of the carnival.
She said Zodwa’s antics were retrogressive to Zimbabwean culture.
Ironically, some of the performers at the Harare International Carnival prance around in the nude along the streets, with little fuss.
This came after the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority chief executive officer, Karikoga Kaseke had apologised to the South African entertainer after some unsavoury words about her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Ksenia Sobchak: The pretty reality TV star that wants to replace Vladimir Putin as Russian President

Pretty Ksenia Sobchak is popular a socialite and reality TV star who intends to replace Vladimir Putin as Russian President during the March 2018 presidential election. She's described in the media as Russia's Paris Hilton, and wrote a book titled "How to Marry a Millionaire". In an interview with CNN's Christine Amanpour she said that starting with participating in massive opposition protests in 2011 and 2012 her "fight against the regime" gained legitimacy. The 36-year old star is also the daughter of Vladimir Putin's political mentor. In September 2017, Vladimir Putin spoke on Sobchak's presidential intentions at a press conference saying, 'every person has the right to nominate himself in accordance with the law. And Ksenia Sobchak is not an exception here. I respect her father Anatoly Sobchak, I believe that he was an outstanding figure in contemporary Russian history. I'm saying this without a trace ...

Billionaire Kidnapper Evans to be Arraigned in court today

Notorious kidnapper, Evans to be arraigned in court tomorrow  Notorious billionaire kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike aka Evans, will be arraigned at the Ikeja High Court tomorrow. The Zonal Police PPRO, Dolapo Badmus, exclusively revealed this to LIB this evening and also adviced members of the public who have no business at the above-mentioned court to stay away from the premises. The Notorious kidnap kingpin who has been in detention for over two months was arrested on the 10th of June at his Magodo residence in Lagos. Evans, a native of Umudim, in Nnewi, Anambra State, was behind the kidnap attempt on prominent transporter and owner of Young Shall Grow Motors, Chief Vincent Obianodo.  He was also behind a series of attacks, including armed robbery and kidnapping in and outside of Lagos, which LIB extensively reported in June Read here 

Wenger: I almost quit Arsenal

The Frenchman has come under increasing criticism as the Gunners continue to fail to reach the heights that saw them considered one of England’s biggest clubs a decade ago. And while Wenger has led the north London side to three FA Cup titles in the last four seasons, their sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last term and subsequent exclusion from the Champions League has seen the pressure mount. Arsenal were also handed a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Liverpool prior to last week’s international break, while their lacklustre transfer business in August has left more questions than answers hanging over the Emirates Stadium. “Yes, I hesitated to extend for personal reasons,” Wenger told French television. “I’ve been at Arsenal for 20 years, and I’m always wondering if I should continue to lead the club. We were doing quite badly last season.”